Dealing with Culture Shock

By Nela Navida - October 26, 2016


I touched down Austria for the first time in early September when the weather was still warm and the sun still shined. Now it's been the last week of October, it's time for the leaves to fall and the weather to get colder. But on the other side, deep inside me, I feel the opposite. Even though the weather is getting cold, I feel deep inside myself is getting warmer day by day.

-------
My very first impression in Austria was not that good. I felt that people here is so cold. How could I feel that way? After 15-hours flight from Jakarta, eventually I touched down Vienna Schwechat Airport. But the journey hadn't accomplished yet, I still had to catch a train to Linz, the city where I live for exchange program now. On the way to the train platform, I got a surprise from an old woman that suddenly approached me, right in front of my face. "Go back to your home country!"she said. "...%$$%^^&&(...", I didn't respond at all. I was trying to digest what she said to me and trying to calm down myself because I was suddenly feeling 'homesick'. I kept thinking during the train was going ahead Linz. The question that bearing in mind was, "will they (local people) accept me to be here?"

But those feeling was disappear quite fast. When, I and Ruth (my friend who is on the same program) in difficulty brought down our super big luggages out of the trains, without asking the people helped us brought them down. I couldn't say anything but thank you. And when I came
out the train station, my mentor (a student that help us here) was already there and welcomed me and Ruth. It was such relief.

During my stay in Linz (which is now going to be 2 months), I never get any bad treats anymore. As I said on the previous post I am just notoriously insecure about myself, about their perception on me, etc. But, as time goes by, I get many lesson-learned that I can use for dealing my culture shock. Here three lesson-learned that I can share to you.


1. National political situation does matter.

It is related to my story where I was asked to 'go back to my home country' by an old woman. Maybe some of us already know that some part of the world like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan are no more comfortable for the people to make a living. How could you make a living, when your music turns out to be bomb explosion sound, when your fear turns out to be your everyday feeling. At this situation, indeed, you'll find a better place for you and your family to make a living. And here, Europe is one of the places that they think they have a hope and is reachable for them. At first, they were sincerely accepting them in the name of humanity but as time goes by it turns out to be crisis. There appears pros and cons to accept the influx of people coming to the Europe. Some people might be disagree to accept refugees and some others might be agree. And in my case, she (the old woman) might be one of them who disagree. So, when she saw someone who she thought as a 'refugee' she'd do something. Thus, in my opinion knowing the national political situation is sometimes needed for you in dealing with culture shock, at least to prevent to get (feeling) irritated.

2. Be yourself, but never forget about respect. 

I am actually an introvert one and I was thinking to get more social life here. But then I realized, changing ourselves in a short time is indeed hard. And here, attending party is one of the fastest ways to get in touch with new people and socialize with friends. Nevertheless,in Indonesia, party (literally party) is not even listed in my life. And here the party can be held more than twice a week. Quite intense, right? And since being in a crowd of people sometimes making me uncomfortable, it is then resulted me to never come to the party here. The bad thing is I have got fewer friends than the others. Nonetheless, I found the 'inner' peace, in the other words, I keep being myself which is really comfortable. So, how is it related to 'respect'? It might be significantly different how people in Indonesia and here look upon the idea of party. In Indonesia, it tends to be seen as negative. But here, it is not. To respect the value that's being here (even it's really different to ours) is essential for us not to get big culture shock. And I can say that this respect is the way where we'll be more open-minded person.

3. Never (fully) trust on stereotypes. 

When I was searching about Austrian stereotypes, one of them told that they are rude and cold. But then, when I had a mini project to interview someone I found the opposite. I interviewed a family which they are full of smile. They are warm and kind. Another story, when I was in the market, I accompanied my friend eating 'sausages with curry' (just accompany not eating because the sausage made of pork). And when waiting them served, the owner started chit chat with us and turned out to chit chat to other customers as well. The lesson-learned is you can just search and find out about what stereotypes they have but never put a high degree of confidence on it. Do you own observation. Stereotypes could never be depicted all population. We should never judge people based on stereotypes they have because basically it depends on the individual. Rather than, feeling insecure because we believe that they are rude and cold, we should better getting rid of that thought and keep observing our new home.

My first visit to Flea Market, Linz, 
One of our interviewee who is living in one of district in Linz, named Solar City

The nice family that I told in one of the paragraphs

My team in cultural sensitivity class


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments